Provenance(Possibly sale, London, England, March 3, 1908, lot 122); Fischoff.  (Charles Sedelmeyer, Paris, France by 1911).  Edward Rathbone Bacon [1846- 1915], New York, New York and Netherdale House, Turriff, Aberdeenshire, before 1915; by descent to his sister-in-law, Mrs. Virginia Purdy Bacon, New York, New York, 1915 through 1919; by descent to the Bacon heirs, 1919 through 1923; (Bacon sale, through Christie's, London, England, July 13, 1923, lot 29); (Arthur Tooth and Sons, Ltd., London, England). Paul Cassirer, Berlin, Germany. Dr. Paul Kempner, Berlin, Germany, before 1925 and after 1939.  (Pinakos, Inc. (Rudolf Heinemann), New York, New York, by 1944); (M. Knoedler and Co., Inc., New York, New York, by 1944 through 1945;  purchased by MIA in 1945.
 According to Art Sales III, p. 331, Fischoff purchased the painting. It has not been proven that this work is our painting. A second, smaller version exists which may conflict with provenance and exhibition history.
 The work is reproduced in "One Hundred Paintings by Old Masters: The Sedelmeyer Gallery," Paris, France, 1911, series 11, pp. 42-43, no. 36. There is a Galerie Sedelmeyer wax seal on the stretcher brace of the painting. The work was also referred to in a 1925 Sedelmeyer exhibition.
 The painting is listed as no. 140 in Townsend and Howard, "Memorial Catalogue of Paintings by Old and Modern Masters, collected by Edward R. Bacon," privately printed in 1919, p. 117, no. 140.
 Copy of auction catalogue in curatorial file.
 Kempner was a partner in the firm of Bankhaus Mendelssohn & Co. This fact is also stated on the invoice from Knoedler. The aryanization of the bank forced him to emigrate first to England and then the US in 1939.
 According to the Getty Provenance Index, the work was owned jointly between Pinakos, Inc. and Knoedler's. Knoedler stock number A-2773.