49 1/4 x 65 1/8 in. (125.1 x 165.42 cm) (canvas)58 x 73 3/4 x 2 1/4 in. (147.32 x 187.33 x 5.72 cm) (outer frame)
Bequest of Curt Valentin
Oil on canvas
Museum Folkwang, Essen, Germany in 1937; (Karl Buchholz, Berlin, Germany); (Curt Valentin from 1939 through 1955); bequest to MIA in 1955.
 The work was likely removed from the Museum Folkwang during the confiscation of modern art from Germany's museums in the first two weeks of July, 1937 by the Nazis. There is a possibility that the work was removed slightly earlier, as Count Klaus von Baudissin, an SS officer who served a brief tenure as director of the Folkwang, had already "cleared the museum of 'offensive' examples of modern art" prior to Joseph Goebbels decree on June 30, 1937. (Stephanie Barron, "Degenerate Art: The Fate of the Avant-Garde in Nazi Germany," 1991, p. 19)
 The work was sold to the German dealer Karl Buchholz in the degenerate art sales (see "Entartete Kunst" Inventory, no. 333 under "Essen: Folkwang Museum").
 Curt Valentin worked for Buchholz's gallery until 1937, whereupon he then set up the Buchholz Gallery in New York in 1939. He received works from Karl Buchholz until the war broke out between the U.S. and Germany. It is very likely that Valentin purchased the work directly from Buchholz, but this has yet to be confirmed through archival documents.
No Copyright - United States
Cite this information
Click here to see the machine readable JSON data that underpins this page.
This record has been reviewed by our curatorial staff but may be incomplete. These records are frequently revised and enhanced. If you notice a mistake or have additional information about this object, please email email@example.com.